Here at Breathwork Northwest, we strongly support and commit to follow the prescribed ethical guidelines developed for Holotropic Breathwork:
- The practice of Holotropic Breathwork involves work with clients in nonordinary states of consciousness. It is described in the "Theoretical Principles of Holotropic Breathwork" by Stanislav and Christina Grof. As individuals or as individuals working in organizations, we subscribe to the value of self-examination in order to promote personal growth in ethics. Because Facilitators who keep these Agreements avoid behavior which may be exploitative to participants and may also bring injury to the larger Holotropic Breathwork community, we subscribe to the principle that we need to give and receive feedback from each other in order to maintain the highest integrity in the Holotropic Breathwork community. We make the following agreements which specifically apply to our relationship with clients as Facilitators of Holotropic Breathwork.
- We commit ourselves, as Facilitators-in-training to practice Holotropic Breathwork only within the limitations of our training and competence, and to do so under the direct supervision of a Certified Holotropic Breathwork Facilitator.
- We commit ourselves, as Holotropic Breathwork Facilitators to be open to receive feedback from other Holotropic Breathwork Facilitators. We also commit ourselves to give feedback to other Facilitators, especially when we believe that the other Facilitators have failed to keep one of the these agreements.
- We will keep workshop clients/participants confidences within the limits of the law.
- We create a safe setting for clients, as defined by the Holotropic Breathwork Principles.
- We will represent ourselves and act only within the bounds of our experience and competence and help our apprentices and trainees to do the same.
- If we are certified and qualified to supervise trainees as apprentices, we agree to be responsible for providing ethical guidance to our apprentices (including these agreements) while they are under our supervision.
- We continue to increase our Holotropic Breathwork competence.
- As researchers, educators, and authors we are dedicated to presenting accurate information and to citing our sources.
- Dual relationships risk role confusion and the appearance or reality of exploiting clients for personal gain. We agree to discuss with our peers any of our relationships with participants or apprentices. We agree to avoid and refrain from dual relationships which may be exploitative sexually, emotionally, spiritually, economically, hierarchically, or ideologically.
- We do not invite, project, respond to, or allow any sexual contact with our clients or apprentices.
- We provide referrals to workshop participants who require follow-up or referral to local community resources.
- We seek appropriate professional assistance for our own personal problems or conflicts which may impair our work performance or professional judgments.
- We respect the emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual autonomy of our clients. We enable them to choose freely with respect to participating in Holotropic Breathwork, following suggestions, and accepting physical interventions.
- We maintain clear and honest business practices, including making agreements regarding appointments, workshop times, and fees.
- In establishing the rates for our services we consider the financial situation of our clients.
- We recognize a responsibility to participate in activities that contribute to the community, including devoting a portion of our services for little or no financial reward.